I have been asked by my boss to figure out to way to sync a group of calendars together so the Administrative Assistant can book appointments for people in the office, so she needs to be able to access at least 10 calendars and be able to update them , same goes to the 10 people owning the calendars, not to mention departments scheduling their own staff, which quickly adds larger complexity to the problem.
So it has come to pass that 2009 has come to an end.
The past year has been a whirlwind. Time seems to have passed rather quickly for me, one moment it was the hight of summer the next I was in my final semester and now the year is over. Work on the SMUSA website has slowed down considerably due to classes.
Well the September is upon us, which to most heralds the back to school. Seeing as I have not left campus all summer I am not ready to go back to school.
All of my goals have been achieved when it comes to my summer work, mainly getting the smusa.ca up and running, well a soft launch, more content is being added by the day! SMUSA is now running Drupal 6, as opposed to its pervious incarnation which was running on some horrible windows server running asp.
Also I got the Saint Mary’s University Drama Society (SMUDS) website up and running. Which is being run on wordpress.
Life has been going rather slow, but productive. At least now Drupal is doing what I want it to do, 90% of the time, the other 10% well that’s what the drupal fora are for.
The only discouraging thing is that the page still looks bland, I am aware that I need to get have the bolts and whatever else is needed with bolts working before I add the whistle and the paint to make it look pretty.
On the TA side, things are getting somewhat frustrating, I was told to be harsh when marking then I get told to take it easy… I guess I was too harsh, but its remedial first year physics, the students should know the rules such as: “Don’t cheat“, and “show all your work“, or in the case of the lab “don’t leave the lab with your lab notebook since I have to mark it and you get a zero otherwise“, or “show up on time otherwise you wont be allowed in and you will get a zero on the lab”
I also had my birthday recently, the big 24, except I was sick on my birthday, so not much happened except dinner with some friends.
So I’ve been over run by real life work, at the moment I am struggling with a Drupal install for one of my summer jobs, re-design a website from scratch, my biggest project to date.
My other job is a TA for a first year physics course, which is has its ups and downs, mostly that some of the students are not putting much effor as they should be, and I would not blame them, I am like that some times.
I guess I shall leave it at that, till the next time I update again.
The academic year is over, and “summer” has begun, well its more like spring has begun here in Halifax, I do not have much planned for my 4 months with no schooling, other than work my two part time summer jobs, can’t get any glamorous than that.
One of my jobs continues from my term with SMUSA, this summer I shall be helping redesign the website, I won’t lie I am very nervous about this; I’ve never done anything this major, its been mostly me fiddling around with my own pages and teaching my self random things, I guess there is a first time for everything.
The second job I have is with the Astronomy and Physics department at SMU, I will be the lab demonstrator and course grader, this bit I am looking forward to. A few years ago I wanted to become a teacher and my first shot at teaching was at a summer camp last summer where I discovered I am not fit to teach children under the agre of 16, so I shall have to see how these university students will fare compared to the kids last summer.
As of yet this website holds no firm direction other than the random ramblings from my discontinuous stream of conscienceness.